2/20/08

no funny stuff

Okay, I'm a huge fan of the Big Lebowski - if you haven’t noticed our voodoo crown logo was inspired by the bowling alley scenes from the movie. Occasionally I’ll blurt out lines, or a funny scene pops into my head... it makes me laugh, other people laugh??? - not so much. Anyway, my plan to be super productive this past weekend was crushed. Not by a Big Lebowski movie marathon (though I did spend one evening watching Magnolia for the umpteenth time) - but I got sidetracked by the amazing temps in Flagstaff on Sunday. What's a girl to do? Well Rox & I had a great idea - let's rent snowshoes and hike out to the Priest Draw for some limestone bouldering! Heck, why not buy a sled and teach Rox’s dog Champ to pull my little dog Sue along (Sue has powerful little legs but tires easily on the long distance adventures, in the cycling world she‘s the green jersey). Cabin fever will force you into such plans - what a fun day. The gang at Peace Surplus hooked us up with snow shoes & a snow sled! This was my first attempt at snowshoeing & now I really want the Kahtoola flight deck - snowshoeing is soooooo muuuuuch fuuuuun! Before we were able to get our party started at the Draw we had to dig ourselves out of the snow. Yup we got stuck in the muck. While driving along and chatting, the first thought in my head as we hit the Priest Draw turnoff was - “Ryan drove his VW van out here last weekend, surely my 4wd jeep cherokee can make it“… then reality hit, …. it snowed yesterday…. aaaahhhh! Rox had similar thoughts and we both chimed at about the same time - “we should turn around… yes, turn around!” We couldn’t - we were stuck! Rox & I figured we could get out with some effort & luck - so we went to work. Rox was pulling out rocks, branches, car mats, you name it, it was under the wheels. Sometimes it looked like it was going to work then another wheel would spin - the wheels kept on spinning - we tried more rocks from the muddy puddles down the road - I thought we should call AAA but Rox was not ready to surrender - so I decided to go looking around the neighborhood for a shovel. A really nice guy (Michael) let me borrow his. He added I should come back if we couldn’t get the car out. We shoveled our little hearts out (ask Rox, I’m really good at shoveling - I don‘t know why, but I really like it) We finally got the Jeep to move… not very far - and just as we got the car moving Michael drives up - he was worried because it had been a while since I borrowed his shovel. He was great - he used his truck to pull us out the rest of the way - thank goodness we had an old climbing rope in the jeep! I promised Michael homemade chocolate chip cookies & beer ;-) After our mini epic we were soooooo tired, but decided we had to go out & play - after all that work you can‘t just go home. We tried to get the dogs to sled - but Rox & I ended up doing most of the sledding. Once we got to the triangle boulder we ditched our crash pads and decided we only had energy for snow shoeing & sledding… here are some pics from our Sunday adventure. Lots of laughs… No funny stuff…




Sue takes off ahead, she's not liking the idea of riding behind Champ


Rox & the pups


Rox on the sled

Rox trying to get into position

Rox & the pups sledding

me cracking up ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment