7/29/16

That VooDoo


It's been almost 6 years since my last post, I'm afraid to look at the old posts. I've been following Valarie's blog lately and was inspired to try blogging again. Thanks, Val. We will see how long this lasts.

Long time no VooDoo. Well that's not entirely true. The VooDoo bouldering and yoga line have been around but the climbing holds have been unavailable for a couple of years. The Climbing Hold line is back with lots of changes. I'm not manufacturing the holds in Flagstaff anymore, hallelujah! I don't miss wearing a tyvek suit and respirator while mixing and pouring hot buckets of plastic all morning, I don't miss demolding either. I do miss the tables covered in colorful climbing holds just waiting to be caressed. 

VooDoo Climbing Holds are now being made by Proxy Production in Salt Lake City. Have you heard of them? Maybe you know them from Vertical Solutions - they build the most beautiful climbing walls in the world! - seriously, their walls are works of art! Or maybe you've been to The Front Climbing Gyms? Yes, they do that too. Basically, they're an amazing team of professionals, climbers, artists and craftsmen assembled & led by Dustin Buckthal. I love these folks & I feel lucky to be partnered with them. They're really funny too.

The climbing hold industry has changed so much in the time I've been away. I went to the CWA (Climbing Wall Association) Summit in May 2015 and I was floored! The gyms are gigantic and there are so many hold companies! It was cool to see how much the industry has grown and visit with old & new friends. It was fun but also a bit overwhelming for me, I was filled with anxiety and self doubt. I've been gone so long, I felt like I didn't belong. I felt like I couldn't do it. It was hard for me on many levels and I'm not just talking about the morning after the Entreprises Party.

It's been a little over a year since that show, the hold company has been slow growing. I still experience the self doubt and insecurity. I definitely felt it (and the Entreprises hangover) at this year's show but what should I do? I've been told to give it up. I've also been encouraged to keep going and reminded of my strength. How do you choose? My heart pulls me strongly to keep trying. Who knows which choice is correct, it will be a learning experience, right? Today I was feeling weighed down by this doubt and worry but I feel a little better just by sharing it here. Sure I could write it in my journal but when I'm feeling low I can go on and on about it and get lost in the dark instead of remembering there is brighter side.

So here I go again :)

Delivering Molds to Proxy Production April 2015



Louie sorting masters June 2015

Louie sorting masters with Vinny June 2015

CWA fun 2016